Friday 17 April 2009

MARYBEL'S HEALTHY CAPONATA

Today dear friends, I am going to share with you one of my biggest family secret recipes:MARYBEL'S HEALTHY CAPONATA.
This dish is my personal healthier interpretation of my mother's interpretation of an ancient and famous sicilian recipe called Capunata.
It is a cooked vegetable salad with many variations according to local area, social class and personal taste. The dish was then imported in various italian regions with more variations...you can find many information on this famous and popular thish online...but I will tell you that it came to us from the Arabs and this is probably why it is so popular with my Moroccan husband. The queen ingredient is the aubergine.
As I am on constant diet, I avoid frying as much as possible, therefore follow the process decribed below:

INGREDIENTS FOR 2 PEOPLE
(We keep it in a box in the fridge and eat it cold as a side dish as well)

3 potatoes
2 aubergines
2 peppers
2 onions
3 garlic
later add:
capers
olives
olive oil (extra virgin, of course)
vinegar
half tbs of brown sugar.

My porcedure is very easy, simple and faster than many of the original recipes. It is also much healthier as I avoid frying as well as overcooking.
In a short time you will be able to prepare a wonderful colorful dish which you will be very proud to serve to your friends and family.
I peal, wash and cut all vegetables in small cubes.
I usually start with the potatoes as they have the longest cooking time. I put a little oil and water (about 2 tbs each) in an oven tray and mix the potatoes coating them and and adding salt and pepper to taste. I then place the tray into the bottom of the oven at high temperature for about 10 minutes and thel lower.
In the mentime I cut the rest of the vegetables. You can also add celery, carrots and tomatoes if you like. Add all the vegetables mixing everything together.
Finally add the capers, olives,basil or origano according to your taste, a bit of vinegar with half tablespoon of brown sugar and a little olive oil on top.
This dish is best eaten cold as a side dish or on top of a bruschetta as a starter.
Enjoy this healthy treat
XXX
M

No comments: