Monday 11 May 2009

Permaculture and my dream summer

Good morning all,
I am feeling like bleah this morning ( girly 2nd day) but also very happy and hopeful.
Yesterday I spent all day in Taplow Court, a great Buddhist Centre singing with the Glorious Life Chorus.
Once back I started to research on how to deepen my knowledge and practice of Permaculture...and I got a great news from my friend S.( the Angel, remember?) about this website:
http://www.rawreform.com/content/view/17/30/
It's the story of a girl like me and possibly you...who used to be sick with hypothyroidism and on levothyroxin and got better through eating only row food. It is a beautiful inspiring story which gives me great hope for the future and also fits perfectly with whatever else is going on with my life.
I spoke to my husband yesterday about a voluntary project I just joined called 'The Allotments Learning Project' and asked him to join- both his brothers work in Agriculture but he was not interested in Mother Earth until yesterday...
So this morning I kept looking at various permaculture networks and community projects around the world and this is what I did:
1) e-mailed my Tenant Management Association and Local Borough
Dear Sir/Madam,
I am a TMO tenant at xxxx.
I am writing to enquire on the possibility to start a Community food growing scheme and small Theatre project this summer, using the green space outside my home which is at the moment not in use by the people living here.
The initiative can help increase access to safe, sustainable and nutritious food and promote well-being in our local area.
We have a small group: BLEND! a project we are promoting with some local artists and families living in the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea. This individuals can help working as volunteers to develop the design and involve the other residents who wish to take part, increasing safety and community spirit.
Personally I have been trained in Permaculture in 2007 (Brockwell Park Green Houses Community Project) and I am currently a volunteer for the Allotments Learning Project (London Action Trust) and I have a BA in Performing Arts (currently studying for MA in Dramatherapy).
As you might be aware, food growing initiatives are becoming more popular in US (White House/Obama) and UK. Many look at these initiatives as a solution. They may include city farms, allotments, schemes set up on wasteland or school gardens. Growing fruit and vegetables offers a range of health benefits and simultaneously promotes a healthy environment and sustainable development.
I would like to find out the person responsible for this and take the first steps.
My contact numbers as follow:
xxxxx
xxxxx
Many Thanks
Kind Regards
Marybel

I suddenly realised that I could blend BLEND! my multimedia theatre projects I don't have a venue for with my growing desire to grow starting from my backyard!
and :

Hello F.,
I am a Permaculture designer. If you could send me some pictures of your space, I can start designing based on what you already have and what you would like to grow.
Permaculture is a sustainable movement which cultivates in respect with the environment transforming problems into solutions.
I have grown vegetables since childhood in Italy as a hobby and part of my family education.
Since 1997 I have been trained in Permaculture. I am currently helping a few people with their design and creating a network of growers to swap food, seeds, techniques and advice.
I look forward to hearing from you very soon and hopefully to meet you too.
Kind Regards
Marybel
Finally I called my friend H. who asked me to help her growing in her own garden some carrots, courgettes and herbs...here I am starting the network!

No comments: